It is finished.
It took 4 weekends of hot, sweaty, back breaking, mind challenging work, but it is all done. The chickens will in the coop full-time, and as of tonight, they are spending their first night inside the henhouse. And not a minute too soon, as they turn 6 weeks old tomorrow and had completely outgrown the cardboard box they were sleeping in… Only 10-14 weeks till FRESH EGGS!! 🙂
Here are the last few things I did this weekend:
I finished laying the wire around the outside (to keep critters from digging in) and installed landscape timbers along the edges (nailed down with HUGE long nails!) That wire will get covered with grass/sod and monkey grass soon.
with some vinyl flooring remnants that a friend gave me, I was able to put down a good base for the henhouse.
I installed a window at the back end of the hen house that we can leave open for ventilation until it is colder weather.
I installed a couple of good roost poles in the hen house so they will have a place to hang out and sleep at night. Two of them so all the girls will have a spot and both at the same height so they wont have to fight for the highest one.
I temporarily covered up the access to the nesting boxes since they do not lay eggs yet – that way they will not get in there and starting making a habit of sleeping in them. Once they get closer to egg laying I will open them up.
We got sand in the floor of the run. They did not know what to do with it at first, but seem to really like pecking and scratching around in it.
Newly painted and reinstalled ladder for the henhouse.
Kinda crude but a quicky plexiglass window so we can see in the henhouse and they can see out (and get more light in)
We still have to landscape around it and do some more painting but this is it. Hope the girls like it. 🙂